Tips For Preventing Humidity Damage In Your Storage Area
Storing your possessions in a self-storage unit or in a separate storage area in your home, can be quite a benefit to you, since they help keep you organized and help lessen the clutter that you have accumulated in your home. However, you need to ensure that you keep your items safe and sound in storage so that they remain in a good condition for when you are ready to access them.
Humidity is never a good factor for your storage area or your storage facility’s environment, because it can lead to the damage of the items in the storage unit. High humidity can lead to the mold, mildew, and insect infestations and well as the overall rotting of your belongings. This article will show you how you can effectively prepare your storage are and prevent the effects of humidity.
- Check for leaks and if you find any, have them fixed immediately.
- Place a layer of polyethylene on the floor and on the warmest wall in the area, so that it can act as a vapor barrier and prevent moisture from entering.
- Make sure that all of the items that you are going to store away are absolutely dry.
- Place wooden pallets on the floor to protect items from condensation that occurs when the temperatures shift.
- Try to store larger items with some distance between them, so that air flow is promoted around them.
- Never store your belongings in plastic bags, because the bags can trap moisture and thus, cause mildew.
- Get some bins that you can put charcoal briquettes (that are not pre-soaked in lighter fluid) in and place them in various areas in the storage area to absorb moisture in the air. Replace them ever 1 to 2 months. You can even use kittle litter instead of charcoal briquettes, but remember to change them at least every 3 weeks.
If you are looking for self-storage in Ottawa for your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa, then give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage in Ottawa. We are conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau we are the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau.