Organizing & Taking Inventory Of Items In Your Self Storage Unit
As the renter of a storage unit, it’s your responsibility to ensure that you keep a check on the items you’ve got stored away there. It’s a great way to make it easier for you to locate and retrieve your belongings when you wish to. We’re going to show you how to organize and take inventory of the items that you stored away in your unit.
To organize your items, you need to do the following:
- Your belongings should be categorized in terms of item size, activity or room they came from.
- Ensure that your boxes, bins and containers are labeled so that you can easily identify them and you’ll be able to store like items in or around them.
- Always position the items that you will need to access the most often, at the front of the unit. That will make it easier for you to get to them when you need to.
- Create a visual of your storage unit, by sketching a diagram of the layout so that you can more quickly and easily locate your items.
- Try to categorize your items and store the similar ones together in designated areas of the storage unit.
- Make as much use of vertical space as you can, so that you can conserve on horizontal space. Stack items on top of each other, with the heavier, larger objects at the bottom and the lighter, smaller ones at the top. Don’t store any fragile items using this method.
To take inventory of your items, you need to record the following information on a digital spreadsheet or on paper…
- Record a description of the item
- Record the item category
- Record the item seasonality
- Record the date of storage
- Record the location of the stored item
If you are looking for self-storage in Ottawa for your personal storage unit or business storage needs in the heart of Ottawa then give us a call to discuss your storage locker options at Just Right Self Storage in Ottawa. We are conveniently located in the heart of Ottawa’s downtown core and only minutes away from Gatineau we are the number one source for storage in Ottawa and Gatineau.